Tuesday, March 11, 2014

All Time Favorite Middle Grade Books: Top Ten Tuesday (7)


Top Ten Tuesday is a meme and weekly event posted every week on (OMG) Tuesdays by The Broke and Bookish. As you may know, I recently reorganized my main bookshelf, in my latest Monday Musings so check that out for background and information on that. Of course, it brought back a bunch of nostalgia, so I thought I would tell you about some Upper Middle Grade books. 
 
1. Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling, I think this is on everyone's favorite list because who could ever forget their first time discovering the wizarding world? Picking it up in 2008 after scoffing at my friend for reading it (stupidest decision ever) was one of the best things I have ever done.
2. The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart. As I explained before, my mom read the entire trilogy to me over the course of several months in 2010 because no one is too old to be read aloud to. She tortured me every single night, by ending the chapter, and (of course) I would always beg her to read more.
3. The Lost Children by Carolyn Cohagan as I explained in my Monday Musing was my favorite Middle Grade Standalone of all freaking time. I have read this maybe three or four times which is huge for me because I don't re-read books often. This is just the ultimate Middle Grade perfection and if Carolyn came out with a sequel, I would put it to the very top of my TBR.
4. Percy Jackson by Rick Riordan. I will murder anyone who was a child in from 2006 to now if they say  
Percy Jackson wasn't one of their childhood classics. I cannot begin to describe how much I loved and still do love this entire series, and have been faithful throughout the years. You can read my review of House of Hades that I posted yesterday here.
5. Moon over Manifest by Clare Vanderpool was another classic my mother read to me and was a but different than anything I have ever read before, even now. This historical fiction, flashback thing it had going on was simply amazing.
6. How could I forget the Underland Chronicles by Suzanne Collins? I remember discovering more of her astounding-ness in 2012 and falling head over heels in love with the relatable characters and creativity in this book.
7. When Your Reach Me by Rebecca Stead was a very interesting book. I received this for a present on my Adoption Anniversary and fell in love. I don't want to spoil it for you, but this book has a huge WTF killer ending.
8. If you didn't already know, I spent my entire childhood idolizing Margaret Peterson Haddix. She had such talent and intricate plots that any aspiring young writer (like myself) would want to have, and this story was one of my first ever futuristic-ey ones. If anyone wants to look at my Goodreads, I have read almost every single book she's ever written.
9. The Invention of Hugo Cabret was something I read in 2009 that I was extremely skeptical about because of it's foreboding size. I soon found out it was mostly pictures, ended up loving the book.
10. Everlost by Neal Shusterman is actually a book I read in late 2013, and even though it was in the Young Adult Section, I totally think it should be in the children's because of the light themes and hilarious take on the world between the worlds. My review is here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...