Sunday, August 16, 2015

A Foray Into Fiction ~ "Dialogue"


A Foray Into Fiction is a video series on my BookTube Channel Loving the Language of Literacy featuring writing advice and examples and if you want to read what I shared in that week's video, this is the place :)

Shop Owner : I'd really like to buy this ring. My mother lost one just like this a long time ago and it would mean a lot to me.

Customer : Aw how sweet. That'll be $15. We take all major credit cards. We prefer checks that don't bounce.

Shop Owner : Oh, $15? Really? I only have $8, and in cash. It's only a few dollars less, please, can I have it for $8?

Business Partner : Robert! Don't even think about it. I'm sorry ma'am, but this is an established business here. We don't do handouts.

Shop Owner : Now, now Xanthippe. Can't you make an exception? This obviously would mean a lot to this kind-looking gentleman.

Customer : Let me see. I have one, two, three quarters. Eight dollars and seventy-five cents?

Business Partner : Robert, would you like to the the downfall of a store that's been in my family for five generations?

Shop Owner : Oh come now! Always with the theatrics. But... I'm sure we can come to an understanding. How attacked are you with that shirt if yours?

Customer : My shirt? Well, it's the only one I have. I've been unemployed for a long time, and everything I had was stolen by some people I thought were my friends but enough about that. Will my shirt and money pay for the ring? Because if so, you can have them.

Business Partner : Oh I suppose... and you can keep your shirt. Robert, that $6.25 is coming out of your pay. Would you like a bag for the ring?


Prompt : Write a scene using only dialogue featuring the three characters of a shop owner, their business partner, and a customer who only has $8 but wants to buy a ring with sentimental value but the shop owner has been giving people breaks on the prices of their products.

What is your stance on dialogue - is it your favorite part of fiction writing or the worst? What is the most important think you've learned along the way? What is your favorite genre to write? 

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...