Tuesday, June 24, 2014

The Chocolate Book Tag

So, I wasn't tagged, but I first saw this on Laura Plus Books and knew I just HAD to do it because of how it connected Books and CHOCOLATE! Need I say more?

Dark Chocolate: A book that covers a dark topic
Impulse: Ellen Hopkins
So I am currently in the middle of a reading slump, as those do tend to happen to me after a long period of stuff going on (such as the end of the school year), and I picked this book up because I know that I LOVE almost anything written by Ellen Hopkins. Well, this book got me out of my reading slump.... but launched me into a full-on Book Hangover. Impulse was incredibly thought provoking and invoked a multitude of "feels" in me. If I were to sum this story up in one sentence it would be: Conner, Tony, and Vanessa meet in Aspen Springs -a psychiatric hospital- after all three of them tried to commit suicide, and the story progresses as they all try to break free of emotional baggage that landed them there in the first place. I believe that tells you all that you need to know about how dark Impulse is.   
White Chocolate: Your favorite light-hearted/humorous read
Just Like the Movies: Kelly Fiore
This book actually doesn't come out until the 22nd of July, and my review doesn't go live until the 30th of June.... but we'll just ignore those statistics so I can talk about how much I loved this book. Just Like the Movies is told in dual perspective as we follow Lily and Marijke, the nerd and the jock, who become unlikely friends as they bond over trying to get guy using techniques from classic movies. If that isn't sweet, I don't know what is. There were so many feels of the fluffy, walk-on-air,  contemporary variety, and I highly recommend that you pick this book up when it is released.

Milk Chocolate: A book with a lot of hype that you're dying to read
City of Bones: Cassandra Clare
I admit it. I haven't read a single piece of writing from Cassandra Clare. I know that there has been hype surrounded TID and TMI for YEARS. It was probably 6 years ago when I first heard about the series. It didn't interest me then, but it has gotten to a point where I just want to read the darned book so I know what the heck everybody is talking about - ESPECIALLY because City of Heavenly Fire was released. 

Chocolate With a Caramel Center: Name a book that made you feel all gooey in the middle while reading

Wafer Free Kit Kat: Name a book that surprised you recently
The Hunger Games: Suzanne Collins
I admit it, I read THG in 2011, and that isn't very recent. But what the heck, this is my challenge, and I can do whatever I want.... except survive The Hunger Games, because I would die in the bloodbath. I was in Mammoth California when I first heard about it, my best friend Emma had said, "Sofia this is a really good book. A boy and a girl from each of the 12 districts get sent to the Capital to fight to the death!" Needless to say, I was turned off by that. Yet, I had finished the book I had brought, and had nothing to read on the car ride home, so I begrudgingly picked up the book about teenagers killing each other. It became my favorite book for a solid year and a half. A lot of people have said that Twilight got them to read. For me - The Hunger Games got me to read Young Adult Dystopias, now one of my favorite genres EVER. 

Snickers: A book that you are going nuts about
The Young Elites: Marie Lu
I am going stark, raving mad for this book. My very good friend +Tina Chan (@The_Book_Lander) got me the chapter sampler at BookCon. After I finally got over the beauty of the cover, and the sensation that I had some of Marie Lu's amazingness in my hands, I read it. OH MY GOSH! I can't wait to see where this story is going to go. What I do know is that I will probably burst if I have to wait any second longer than October 7th. The narration was so different than June's, but I loved it all the same. I also know that the world building will be fantastical, and I can't wait to find out more about the Young Elites and how they use their powers. For Good.... Or For Evil?

Hot Chocolate With Marshmallows: What book would you turn to for a comfort read?
The Report Card: Andrew Clements
I know what you are probably thinking, "Why the heck does Sofia have a book that is for third graders as a comfort read?"Well that's exactly what it is to me - a comfort read. I first read this book when I was in second grade, and vowed to read it every single year around October for as long as I lived. While that didn't exactly work out, the intent was there because I honestly LOVE this book. The story is so Andrew Clements, and the plot is so quirky, and I remember loving every single minute of it when I was little. I have not read The Report Card in over four years, but it is on my bookshelf, and I will definitely be picking it up soon so I can relive my childhood. 

Box of Chocolates: What series have you read that you feel has a little something for everyone?
The Heroes of Olympus: Rick Riordan


I believe this has something for everyone because I have literally never met a person -online or IRL- that hasn't loved it no matter what age they are. So many of us grew with Percy Jackson, and the Heroes of Olympus lets us continue the epic saga. It is technically a "Middle Grade" novel, but that label shouldn't deter anybody because it is still enjoyable and hilarious regardless of the age group that it is targeted for. We have the action, adventure, thrills, mythology, and even a bit of romance. It's the total package. 

Now I would like to know if YOU have read any of these novels, and what your answers would be for this tag. If you haven't done it yet and would like to (like me) I tag YOU because it was so much fun to come up with answers. I also tag +Nathania Shuttleworth +Tina Chan +Mallory Alcala If you have done the tag, please leave me the link below so I can comment.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...