Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Dear Orange Sharpie | My Journey to the Dark Side ~ What is Poetry?


*squints at bright blogging light* Yes, yes, I know it has been forever since I swept out the cracks of my keyboard and posted anything on my blog. Today I’m here to present you with the first of a 5 part series of posts which will hopefully be the start of something new. So long, Loving the Language of Literacy has been a book blog but now I want to expand it into writing as well.

My own writing.

This is an extremely daunting thing for me to do considering how judgmental the internet can be but assuming the only people who will come here will want to see the writing I’ve already read aloud in my YouTube video, then it shouldn’t be that scary. We’re all friends here, right?

If you watch my BookTube channel eponymously named Loving the Language of Literacy, you might know I go to writing class and for all five weeks worth of videos, I have shared my work. For the first time ever, you’ll have a post to refer back to you if you want to read my original work.
Without further ado, I present the first poem I EVER shared on my YouTube Channel.


Dear Orange Sharpie

Dear Orange Sharpie,
What is the meaning of life?
I bet this has never been an issue for you
In the realm of writing instruments
You are so obviously the king
Because you do only what I have longed for all my life.
You. Are. Permanent.
Day after day. Week after week,
I am used on that relentlessly white board,
Serving my purpose as the instruction writer or doodler
Don’t get me wrong, I love my job
Getting people to where they’re supposed to go
Is my life’s pleasure
But no matter what I write,
No matter how helpful I am,
My work always disappears.
For once could Eraser let my markings stay?
For once, could people step back and appreciate
Everything I have written
Without erasing it 2 seconds later?
All I ask is to be recognized as
More than something disposable.
Why work countless hours if only to be
Abandoned at the end of the day?
What is the meaning of life
If I am only to leave a
Temporary mark on the world?
Sincerely your friend,
The Bitter Purple Dry Erase Marker

Prompt : Write a letter to any object in the room from another object’s perspective.


Other Poems in the Series ~

What do you think of my prosetry? Are you looking forward to reading the rest of my poems? What else do you want to see on the blog?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...